Tuesday 27 March 2012

Book Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

This is what I had written on GoodReads.com. It's not very.. good. But it's a start. I want my opinons to matter, sometimes.


I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, easy, light read and held no disappointment in terms of story.


It was unpredictable. Jessica came alive in the book; I can't pinpoint it on either her quirkyness, her realism, or her language. But her thoughts, her development, you were always right there with her when she evolved, and while it was exciting, it didn't take you by surprize. There was always a purpose to her madness, and I admired Jessica for her qualities. 

I think 'Lukey' was definately out of his element when he arrived, and it showed. It was funny without being absurd. It was strange, but understandable.

One small element that did not seem to fit in was Lukey's use of modern text language in hand-written letters. That, was a little out of the norm, for me. Putting it into Lukey's perspective, I think that with his upbringing, he would not want to write to his uncles in a lighthearted manner. Even though he wasn't opposed to be insubordinate, he was supposed to be mature for his age. And while he clearly rebelled to that effect, writing in text script to his uncles didn't seem to quite 'fit'.

A tiny shortcoming to an otherwise fantastic and fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment