Wednesday 1 August 2012

Book Review: Revived - Cat Patrick

Revived - Cat Patrick

This is the only non-zombie zombie book I've read. For the record.

It's taken me a little while to capture what I really want to say about this story -- it's more than just 'I really liked it'. While I did like it, very much, I wanted to point out several things this author achieves besides writing a captivating story.

A - Due to the nature of the secret-drug Revive, the agency calls the man in charge 'God'. The agents are thus denoted as 'Disciples'. Even as the story is told through a young woman's point of view, there is a definite symbology (a word I just created) to religion. She's lived this kind of life and taken for granted everything she's been told as the truth and nothing but the truth.  The perfect alignment of circumstances - she  begins to ask her own questions, and to see the grey areas of places she knew as Black or White.

I particularly liked this, and perhaps it is my own imagination, but it's a sly way for Cat Patrick to have Daisy identify with people coming of age, coming to realize they have to form their own thoughts and opinions around heavy issues - Life, Death, 'Religion' (the secret government agency she's with) and other Adults (when you realize, just because they are older, does NOT mean they are right).

B - Healthy detachment. Hear me out - a love story consists of person meeting person, person needing person, person doing everything possible to be with person, no matter the obstacle.  Cute, right? Sometimes.  In this case, Daisy is able to keep her love-interest at a healthy arms-distance, even through very difficult times. Maybe this is because she's used to just up and leaving? Maybe this is because there are more serious issues at hand? (MORE serious than a YA love interest?! Gasp, say it isn't so! BUT IT IS!) My point is, while I sat and rooted for this young couple, I was almost proud of Daisy's ability to separate when necessary, to have patience and believe in things will work out. To give the other person room to Breathe and sort his crap out. *

*Having said all this, there are times when they move mountains to be together. Thumbs up for that!


I'll stop the wall of text here.. and give you words that also describe this book;

-Awesome
-Gripping
-Fantastically well done - point of view wise
-Strong Heroine
-Page Turner (i was carrying this around with me, even into the bathroom)
-Surprisingly no zombies for a drug that revives people from the dead...

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this book Raphael, but after reading your awesome review I'm going to put it on my TBR list! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete